Mouth ulcers are a common issue, but they are extremely unpleasant and cause great discomfort and pain.
They are white, surrounded by an inflamed red border, usually found on the lips, cheeks, at the bottom of the oral cavity, or under the tongue. Mouth ulcers are usually a result of various reasons, and can be of three types:
Minor Mouth Ulcers
Minor ulcers are the most common type (aphthous stomatitis) and occur in 80% of the cases. Their healing usually needs 7 – 10 days.
Major Mouth Ulcers
Major or large ulcers occur in 10% of the cases of aphthous stomatitis. These are known as major aphthous ulceration. In most cases, they merge with adjacent ulcers and create a larger one, leading to great pain.
These ulcers are also extremely painful and result due to an infection with herpes simplex. In this case, they frequently reoccur, and women are more prone to them. They often come in clusters of 100 smaller, painful ulcers.
Common Causes of Mouth Ulcers
These are the most common causes of mouth ulceration:
1. Unhygienic dental conditions
3. Food allergies
4. Accidental bites in the mouth and the cheek
5. Herpes simplex infections
6. Deficiencies in important nutrients, like iron, vitamin B12, Vitamin C
7. Hormonal imbalance
8. Skin disease
9. Some disease in the bowels
10. Underlying disease conditions
Natural Remedies For Mouth Ulcers
Fortunately, mouth ulcers and canker sores can be treated naturally. These are the most effective home remedies:
1. Gargle alternatively with a glass of cold water and a glass of lukewarm water.
2. Coconut milk is an excellent remedy. You should extract the milk by grating fresh coconut, and gargle for 3-5 times daily.
3. In a cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds and boil. Gargle while it is still a bit warm, 3-4 times daily.
4. Aloe Vera provides efficient effects in this case. You should take 2 tablespoons of aloe Vera gel 3 times a day.
5. Boil a cup of fenugreek leaves in two cups of water. Strain, cover, and gargle with it 2-3 times a day.
6. You can prepare a salt water mouthwash by dissolving ½ teaspoon salt in one cup of water. Swish it for half an hour, and spit it out. Moreover, for even better results, use this solution to gargle.
7. Boil coriander leaves in water, allow the water to cool, and gargle lukewarm water 3-4 times daily.
8. Chew 5-6 holy basil leaves and drink some water. Repeat this method 5-6 times during the day.
9. Eat raw tomatoes whenever you suffer from mouth ulcers, or you can gargle with tomato juice 3-4 times on a daily basis.
10. Mix a teaspoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to prepare a paste, and rub it on the painful spot.
11. Use cranberry juice to treat mouth ulcers. Just hold it in the mouth for some time.
12. Mix one part of camphor and 7 parts of sugar candy and apply their mixture on the blister. This will provide quick results.
13. Get rid of the mouth ulcers by chewing 5 – 6 basil leaves with some water. Repeat 5-6 times daily.
14. Mix a pinch of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of glycerin and apply it on the affected area.
15. Use plain yogurt to treat canker sores.
16. You should eat a banana with curd on an empty stomach in the morning.
17. Mix honey and coconut oil and massage the gums.
18. You can prepare a paste of Indian gooseberry and apply it on the affected area. Repeat 2-3 times during the day.
19. You can prepare a homemade antiseptic mouthwash by mixing 10 drops of tea tree oil in 1/3 cup of water, and swish it for half a minute, and spit it out. This will treat the infection and alleviate the pain.
20. You can eliminate mouth ulcers using bicarbonate of soda.
21. In order to get rid of the mouth ulcers, you should consume raw salads, rich in onions.
22. In order to soothe the redness and treat the inflammation, you should dab 2 drops of tea tree oil directly on the affected area.
- Drink a cup of cranberry juice with every meal
- Brush your teeth with a soft brush in the morning and before going to sleep
- Consume comforting foods like ice- cream, yogurt, and custard, as well as relaxing foods such as mixed cool fruits custard, to treat burning ulcers
- Avoid hard foods and drinks like tea and coffee
- Avoid addictive foods and drinks, like alcohol, as well as tobacco
- Avoid hot and spicy foods
- When you are drinking cold drinks or water, make sure you use a straw
These tips and natural remedies will help you efficiently treat mouth ulcers in a simple, safe and quick manner.
Source: Super Tasty Recipes
Share It To Your Friends!