Spring onions are widely used in kitchens across the world. But like us, you probably never knew how easy they are to grow, until now.
Here’s a neat trick for saving a few dollars and a trip to the neighborhood grocer’s.
What You Will Need:
- 5 L plastic bottle
- A pair of scissors
- A lot of onion bulbs
- Begin by cutting the neck off the plastic bottle.
- Using the scissors, cut holes around the body of the plastic bottle. Make sure that the holes are big enough for the onions and spaced evenly apart.
- Carefully pour some soil into the bottle until it reaches the first layer of holes.
- Then, position your onions at the mouth of the holes, making sure that the tip (where the leaves grow out from) faces outward. This is so that the green sprouts grow outwards, rather than inward into the plastic bottle.
- Once you’re done arranging the bulbs, pour some more soil into the plastic bottle to cover them. Keep pouring until the soil reaches the next row of holes.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Continue adding soil and onions until the bottle is full.
- You can tape the neck of the bottle back on or leave it as it is.
And as easy as that, you’ll have your very own spring onion container garden! Just water the soil at the mouth of the bottle, and within 5-7 days you should have your spring onions fully grown.