Avocados are often referred to as the healthiest food due to its impressive nutritional value, and are botanically classified in the same family as camphor and cinnamon. These miraculous fruits are believed to have originated in Puebla, Mexico and the oldest evidence of them was found in a cave in Puebla, Mexico and dates back to around 10,000 BC.
Native to Mexico and Central America, this fruit is a large berry that grows on a tree that can reach 6 feet tall. The avocado ripens 1-2 weeks after being picked, just like the banana.
Avocados are abundant in beneficial components which are responsible for its strong healthy properties.
They contain the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B9
- Vitamin K
- #1: Avocados can help the weight loss process, as they are high in fiber and will help you feel fuller longer. High fiber also helps metabolic health and steadies blood sugar.
- #2: An avocado contains more potassium than a banana. Avocados have 14% and a banana contains 10% potassium.
- #3: Eating avocados help our body absorb 5 times the amount of carotenoids (lycopene and beta carotene).
- #4: Avocados contain more carotenoid lutein than any other fruit, which helps in maintaining eye health, as it protects against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- #5: Avocados are abundant in beta-sitosterol. A recent study included 50 women who have consumed avocados every day for 2 months. They all lowered bad cholesterol by 22%, raised good cholesterol for 11%, and also reduced blood triglycerides for 20%.
- #6: Avocados contain 23% folate which is extremely beneficial for your hearts health, as it lowers incidences of heart disease and can lower the risks of having a stroke. Moreover, they contain vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione which are also good for the heart.
- #7: Folate is also essential in the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defect.
- #8: According to numerous studies, avocados are high in oleic acid which prevents breast cancer, inhibits tumor growth in prostate cancer and seeks out precancerous and oral cancer cells and destroys them.
Source: Real Farmacy