This has been a common reminder from various experts and it is not actually wrong. However, many people still do it no matter what.
Showers at gyms and public swimming pools are dangerous places when it comes to fungal infections. The damp and humid places provide the perfect environment for bacteria to reproduce.
A man from Texas, who doesn't want to be named, learned this the hard way and talked about his horrific experience to the media. One afternoon he went to his local gym to do some marathon training. After the workout, he walked over to the showers, but soon realized he had forgotten his flip-flops. To avoid going back to work all sweaty, he decided to make an exception and shower barefoot. This proved to be a very costly mistake.
At first he noticed a small itchy spot on his left foot that was slightly harder than the skin around it. The doctor diagnosed him with a plantar wart — a benign tumor caused by an infection called human papillomavirus (HPV).
Here were the results:
This was the condition of his foot six months after first noticing the wart. The treatment resulted in four more warts springing up on his foot. In intense pain, the man could barely walk on the swollen foot. After months of waiting, the Texan finally underwent surgery and received skin grafts made from fish scales to close the wounds. Though the problem is now solved, it'll take several more months before he can walk properly again.
What happened to this man could've happened to anyone. The truth is that the bacteria are there, even though we can't see them. That's why it's important to take notice of hygienic precautions in humid and damp areas, as they are prone to the spreading of bacteria and fungi.
Every time you go to the gym or pool, always make sure to bring your flip-flops with you.
Source: Health Hacks
Share It To Your Friends!